Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Until we meet again.

After a 9 month battle with cancer, Jamison's Mom Marilee passed away on November 2nd.
I don't have the words to describe what this past week has been like. The feelings, emotions....
She was such a beautiful, kind, amazing person who loved to actually live life.
I will forever be grateful that we were able to be there with her when she left us. That we were able to say goodbye. Those last few days we would all gather at her house just to be close to her. It was clear that her time was close. I will never forget that feeling in her home. Those last few times we were all there together (and by "all" I mean her children, siblings, parents, family), the feeling in her home was so peaceful and calm. There was such a strong feeling of warmth and comfort. I hoped that she could feel it, that she could feel the overwhelming love felt for her by all of those people.

I remember this last summer, she had been diagnosed with cancer probably 4 or 5 months previously. My parents invited Marilee and her husband Tom over for a bbque. As I watched Chase jumping on the trampoline I could over hear my Mom and Marilee talking. I will never forget Marilee telling my Mom that the one thing she has a hard time coming to terms with is the fact that because Chase is so young she probably won't remember her. When Marilee was diagnosed, the cancer was already at stage 4, which means it was terminal. She understood that her time was short.
I find myself praying everyday now that Chase will remember her. That all those tea parties they had together will remain tucked away in a special place in Chase's mind, and not be lost. Playing in her backyard in that big metal tub. I want Chase to remember that. Her Grandma was an amazing kind person. Someone who went through so much in her life, but was never negative. Who never lost faith. She never gave up. She was so strong. She taught her children that when life was unbearable, you could not quit. She had such a strong testimony. She had the best attitude. She always saw the best in people. I will forever be grateful to her for the amazing person my husband is.
Through all of this I now have a better understanding of how short life truly is. How we must not waste our time on trivial things.

I want to thank everyone for all they have done for us this past week. Flowers, cards, kind words. It was very much appreciated. The amount of people that came to honor Marilee at her viewing and funeral was overwhelming. She was surrounded by so many amazing people all through her life, and its those very people who have helped her family get through these very hard days since she left us.

It has been very difficult coming to terms with the fact that she is gone. Especially for Jamison and his Sister and Brothers. Watching them go through has not been easy.
Although this past week has been filled with lots of tears and heart ache, there has also been laughter and good moments. I feel like the whole family has felt a strong sense of closeness. Marilee would have wanted that. To her, family was the most important thing. Although we can no longer see her, I have no doubt that she is still with us. That she will continue to be there for her Husband, Children, and Grand-children.






Chloe and Chase both wearing Marilee's necklaces in honor of her.


Jamison, David, Beckie, Scott, Randy.

7 comments:

Humanist mom said...

Give Jamison our thoughts and love. I'm so sorry you guys have had to go through this. We sent a card, and Stella colored all over it right before I sent it, so I'm sorry about the smiley faces and whatnot ;)

Aimee said...

She is so beautiful.

Your post made me cry about her being sad about Chase not knowing her. So sad. I can't even think about how hard that would be.

I am so happy that you had peace the last few days in her home. We are thinking about you guys.

Sophia said...

I love this post, I have been thinking about you so much this week. Chase will remember her in some way or another, I am sure of it. What a beautiful woman.

hannah said...

This was a beautiful post that brought me to tears.

We are so sorry for your loss. Your family is in our thoughts.

Jessie said...

Wow, I never realized how much Jamison looks like his Mom. He really looks like her in this picture! Hope all is well and you guys are doing ok. :)

Lisa H. said...

What a beautiful woman - inside and out. We are thinking about you and Jamison and sending much love your way.

For what it's worth, I think Chase will remember her - maybe not her face, exactly, or her voice, but maybe the feeling she had around her, the essence of her.

Love you.

Leigh and Craig said...

This is so sweet Jamie. Whether or not Chase remembers her (which I'm sure she will), Chase will always know her Grandma loved her. Cohen too.