Sunday, March 20, 2011

Before I die I would like to watch the sun rise at the Grand Canyon.

Couple weeks back my Dad recommended I read this book. I just finished it. It was all I could do to put it down these past few days. It is possible I now want to be an expert mountain climber when I grow up. Conquer me some fourteeners (thats mountain climber lingo for those of you not in the know). But really, DAMN. Aron Ralston was a crazy, amazing, ballsy guy (is ballsy a word?). I have never heard of anyone living life to the extent that this guy does. After reading this, I now realize that living in Utah I have some amazing things at my finger tips to see and do. Why haven't I taken advantage more often? Also, reading about his experience watching the sun rise at the Grand Canyon has made it clear that I to must watch the sunrise at the Grand Canyon.

Jamison and I watched 127 Hours last night. It was good, but I loved the book so much more.
There were a few things they put in the movie that were not in the book that I thought were
a little unnecessary....but what can you do?

"I'm listening to the second set of the February 15 Phish show that I attended three months ago in Las Vegas. After a moment of absorbing the music, I smile. I'm glad at the world: This is my happy place. Great tunes, solitude, wilderness, empty mind. The invigoration of hiking alone, moving at my own pace, clears out my thoughts. A sense of mindless happiness - not being happy because of something in particular but being happy because I'm happy - is one of the reasons why I go the lengths I do to have some focused time to myself. Feeling aligned in my body and head rejuvenates my spirit. Sometimes, when I get high-minded about it, I think solo hiking is my own method of attaining a transcendental state, a kind of walking meditation. I don't get there when I sit and try to meditate, om-style; it happens only when I'm walking by myself. Unfortunately, as soon as I recognize that I'm having such a moment, the feeling ebbs, thoughts return, the transcendence evaporates. I work hard to set myself up for that fleeting sense of being wholly pleased, but my judgments about feeling displace the feeling itself. Although it's ephemeral, the general well-being that accompanies such a moment will boost my temperament for hours or even days."
-Aron Ralston 127 HOURS BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE



Also, if you are at all interested, go to Youtube and watch the interview he did with Dateline NBC. Its in 6 parts (here is the first part). Pretty amazing stuff.

2 comments:

Donny G Hazard said...

Hey Jamie! I've been meaning to read that book since I have spent many days exploring Utah's slot canyons and climbing. Why is that movie rated "R"? you should definately see the sunset in the grand canyon. it is amazing. I will have to tag one of my favorite pictures of when the sunset in the Grand Canyon for me.

Donny G Hazard said...

that is actually Alyssa by the way.
~Alyssa