Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm not the only one who watched these movies.....right?

A few weeks back "The wives club", decided it was our turn to go see a "midnight movie" (except we saw our midnight movie at around 7:00pm). We went and saw Alice In Wonderland (and can I just say that I LOVED it).
Anyways, as we were sitting waiting for the movie to start we started talking about movies that remind us of our childhood, and how creepy some of them were, and how when you go back and revisit the movies from your childhood, you end up a little disappointed. Its never as good as you remember (unless your watching Goonies. That movie is always good, no matter the era).
All I can say is, the 80's was a time of some crazy weird movies.

Example: Remember Legend? I loved this movie when I was little. Young Tom Cruise anyone? Also, I think its the only other movie Simone (from Ferris Buellers Day off) was in.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun. I remember my Grandma had a copy of this movie, and every time I went to her house I HAD to watch it. My 7 yr old self thought it was the coolest movie ever. Most people associate Sarah Jessica Parker with Sex In the city. I associate her with Girls Just Want to Have Fun. I am always surprised when someone hasn't seen or heard of this movie (which I think is a lot of people). I mean, its so awesome how is that even possible? :)

Labyrinth is another one of my creepy 80's favorites. David Bowie with woman hair? Check. David Bowie in spandex? Check. Did they not look at him dressed like that and wonder if the world really wanted to see his manly goods in those spandex pants?


So, this version of Alice In Wonderland is a movie I did NOT like as a child. It always creeped me out big time. When I bring it up a lot of people have no idea what I am talking about, but this picture proves that it was a real movie, and I think whoever made it was high on drugs.


Same with Return to Oz. Scared me to death as a small child. We talked about watching it at our next movie night, just to see if it really is as creepy as we remember. Do we dare???


Here is a clip from 1985 version Alice In Wonderland. Watching it brings back that creepy feeling. I hated this movie.


5 comments:

Humanist mom said...

Stella loves "The Return to Oz", we own it and she watches it all the time. It is so creepy. I don't know how she does it.

Sophia said...

Jamie! You have no idea how much that Alice and wonderland creeped me and my siblings out! Do you remember how the crying baby turns into a pig? And return to Oz is the ultimate movie from my childhood, all those heads, so creepy! Hardly anyone knows about that version of Alice and Wonderland, probably a good thing.

Leigh and Craig said...

Oh My Gosh! I remember being totally scared at the Alice in Wonderland and the return to oz movies too! I am so glad I'm not the only one.

Starr said...

I have seen all of them but Legend. I love all those. Def agree about the creepiness of Return to Oz & that Alice.
You know you love the spandex pants, especially that they were WHITE! Yum

Aimee said...

I watched all these movies you mentioned. Even the real life Alice in Wonderland. I totally know this version too. Don't remember if it scared me or not though???

Return to Oz is there somewhere in my memory. I need to watch it again to remember if it was freaky.

Fun times.

Wish I could come to wives night.