Sunday, October 24, 2010

To all crafty handy people, I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!

Before I quit working for Pier 1 Imports I found this twin sleigh bed buried in the stock room. It had been forgotten, and as a result was marked down to like 40 bucks. I decided to get it for Chase thinking that although I didn't love the brushed silver color (I think thats what you would call it??), I could do something with it to make it cuter. I couldn't pass up the $40 price tag. Since our living situation is very temporary right now I decided to wait until we were going to move, and then worry about fixing it up how I liked it. Well, that time is coming upon us very quickly and I want to get it done.

I would like to paint it an off white color (maybe). But for sure give it an antiqued vintage look. I just need advice and opinions. Whats the best way to go about painting a rod iron head board and foot board? Can it be done? What kind of paint would I use?

Anyone have any tips to help me out? I would so greatly appreciate it.
Please forgive the messy unmade bed.


This is the color I am going for.

4 comments:

Aubrey Leong said...

I'm no expert but I used spray paint to do my girls headboard. It was a dark brown and I wanted it white. I just used primer and then spray painted it white. So far no chipping. I'm guessing your could spray paint it and then sand it in some places to give it more of a vintage look? My tips on spray paint...go slow, don't do it on a windy day and be patient. Good luck!

Sophia said...

Spray paint that shiz. It will be so easy and cute.

Leigh and Craig said...

I love spray paint. You have to go slow and do light coats, otherwise, it runs. Go to Home Depot and ask them what kind to use. It might need a primer first. But they have spray paint for metal. They might even have the crackle kind

Sophia said...

ps i have this is the queen version and the bench in our guest room. Funny.