Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Farm.

My Grandma owns a farm down south here in Utah. Some of my old bedroom furniture from when I was a wee child is stored in the house on the farm. Since we are moving soon, I wanted to restore and paint some of it so that Chase can now use it in her new room. I haven't scene the furniture in ages, so the other day we headed down to the farm so I could check it out, and make sure the furniture was even restorable (it was thank goodness, and if anyone reading this has experience painting furniture, and knows what they are doing, feel free to volunteer your help:) ).

My favorite part of the day was the other treasures we found. The farm and house originally belonged to my Great Grandparents, and when they passed away they left it to my Grandma. I loved looking at all of their old furniture and antiques (some of which were from over 100 yrs ago). There is a trunk in the house that came from England with my Great Grandma's Mom (so my Great Great Grandma). She was only 13 yrs old when she left her family in England and crossed the ocean by herself with only a trunk full of her belongings. She worked and made a life for herself so that she could pay to bring the rest of her family over eventually. Amazing to think that because of that brave girl, my family is here now.

Now the trunk is stored in the farm house basement and holds a doll that was my Great-Grandma's when she was a little girl.

Treasures I tell you!!

3 comments:

The Airharts said...

I would die for things like that! You are one lucky girl. So fun, I really want to see befor and afters!!

Humanist mom said...

I've been painting a lot. It's good exercise and I will volunteer my services :) Also, that doll looks like it belongs in a horror film.

Mower Power!

Starr said...

I recommened allthingsthrifty.com. And use SPRAY PAINT! Not brush/paint. It will look perfecto and no brush marks.